Monday, October 22, 2007

I dream in colored chocolate

Rhea and I have been very busy lately. I can't believe Rhea is in school with a full load this semester, finishing up stuff from her last semester in Central America, working, co-running the movie night at the Green House (more about this later), and still making time for chocolate. It's fucking incredible!
I have been pretty busy myself, but in the height of my craziness I made some time to go to the Blossoming Lotus. They always have fantastic raw food and I once again had an amazing dinner. But my real reason for going down to that part of town was some sneaky market research. A place . .. (which shall remain unnamed) sells raw chocolate!!

I walked into the place . . very nonchalant. Looked to the right and the left and up and down. The floors are so clean. People were laughing, talking, dating.... I spot the chocolate case! I do a pretty good impression of a tall blond so I put on my most innocent dumb face and walk over. I try to make small talk with a few tables along the way, just so as not to arouse suspicion. I muster up some confidence and talk to the lady behind the counter. She is young... probably my age so I know the demographic well. I soften her with a smile. "Which of these are the raw chocolates pray do tell?" I say. She smiles back "All the ones on the left of the case on the third shelf."

I look . . there are 6 different choices. Nothing is particularly revolutionary to look at (thank goodness). "One of each" I proclaim! "And two of that one... the one with the ginger, to the right of the plain one, yes that one, I mean two of that one....... Thanks."
She stands up and drops the bag on the floor. All the chocolates spill out. She is trying to distract me, the tall dumb blond disguise did not work! "One of each" I say again. She gets them together for me and I pay. F-ing expensive things! Small chocolates, plain, and $3 a piece! All my tip money :(
I try one, it is hard. She asks if I know how chocolate is made. I say "No, I don't know anything, please tell me everything about the competition... I mean chocolate"
She tells me. I go home that night, my head swirling in chocolate. Melts at 90 degrees,76 degrees, agave, cacao, coconut, raw, chocolate, essential oil . .
I dream the best truffle ever! Beautiful, three kinds of chocolate, authentic, and perfect. I made a small batch last week. The best!
I am off to make some now!!

No comments: